After various requests to the Government, the University was granted first class status in a Law of 1901. This followed an increase in the original contribution by the Local Authority and Provincial government and a prolonging of the Syndicate.

In 1923, the reform by Gentile redefined the distinction between major and minor universities classifying Macerata as the latter. With the 1924 Royal Decree no.1676 the worthy Syndicate was abolished but the Local Authority and Provincial government continued to give lavish contributions autonomously. Later, in 1929, they made an agreement with the State and the local Cassa di Risparmio bank for the upkeep of the University.

In 1928 The Institute of Legal Practice, which still exists today and the School of Specialization in Agricultural Law were founded. However, they did not last long and were closed after a few years.

In 1936 the University obtained financial aid equal to that of the major universities and passed into category A. But shortly after this came the war, political problems and the collapse of the lira while the contributions from State, Provincial government and Local Authority remained the same as in the 1930s. All of this meant that yet again there were serious and pressing problems as to how to survive. It was not even possible to continue the building work on the Student House, begun in 1942, and only finished in the 1950s with a contribution from the Ministry, when it was transformed into a University residence called “Bartolo da Sassoferrato”. There was a radical change for the better however in the 1960s under the Chancellorship of Giuseppe Lavaggi. He made two wise moves: on the one hand he worked with the University governing bodies to set up new Faculties, on the other he pressed the Local Authority and other local organizations to get involved in improving the University and giving it a fresh start. He did not have to wait long for a positive response to his ideas.

The problem of the lack of space was solved in 1961 when the Local Authority decided to gratuitously assign to the University some buildings next to its old Seat, which at that time housed primary schools. Restoration work began immediately following a plan drawn up by the architect Luciano Giovannini who skillfully brought back the dignity to the late seventeenth century Barnabite Convent building and prestige to the ancient Seat of the University. The Local Authority also assigned other buildings adjoining the Seat. This meant that with the extra space the University was able to set up the Institute of Forensic Medicine which very quickly became, as it still is today, a fundamental reference point, and not only regionally, in the area of forensic medicine and forensic toxicology.

Then, in October 1964 the President of the Republic approved and made executive the agreement between the University, the Provincial Government and the Chamber of Commerce for the founding of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities. This was divided into three degree courses in Arts, Philosophy and modern foreign literature which began immediately, and which, after a short time, were transferred to the prestigious newly-restored building (now housing the Faculty of Social Science and Communication) next to the ancient Seat, thus breaking the stasis that had reigned for 85 years and which had so nearly proved ruinous. The enlargement and improvement of the University has never stopped and is still very much in progress today. This is partly due the abilities of the Chancellors who have continued the process since the 1960s. It is good to remember the fundamental steps.

In 1969 the degree course in Political Science was started within the Law Faculty; then in 1990 it was transformed into a Faculty with two-degree courses, Political Science and Finance, Banking and Insurance. The latter became the Faculty of Economics in 2001.

In 1996 the Faculty of Educational Studies was set up and inaugurated in the academic year 1998-9. The Faculty of Communication Science was set up in 2004 and inaugurated on 1st November of that year. The Faculty of Cultural Heritage has been active in Fermo from the 15th December 2006.

At the present time, the University of Macerata, with its long history, plays a very remarkable role. Its Departments make up a homogeneous whole in which academic staff and students can find common cultural interests and points for discussion in the spirit of a real universitas studiorum.

Last update 14 November 2012