Visa, immigration, insurance


All foreigners intending to enter Italy must provide the documentation required to justify the reasons and duration of their stay, as well as, in some prescribed cases, the availability of adequate economic means and lodging.
In some cases you need a visa, application for which can be made at the Italian Ambassy or Consolate in your country.
On the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs you can find information about whether you need a visa or not; where to apply for it in your home country and which documents are required.

Police registration - non EU students residence permit

Before the departure: please, contact your Italian embassy as soon as possible in order to begin the application procedure for a VISA.

Upon arrival: within 8 days of your arrival in Italy, you must apply for a EU Residence Permit For Study Reasons. The Residence Permit is to be applied for with the help of a qualified local union; they will help you free of charge.  On the websiteclick on “Ricerca struttura” (on the left) and choose from the opening menu: struttura PATRONATO / provincia MACERATA / Comune MACERATA/ cap 62100. You will need to book an appointment at one of these local unions offices within 8 days from your arrival.

The nearest local union to the International Office is: 
INCA - CGIL, Via Garibaldi 45, Macerata.
Telephone number: +39 0733 245711

list of local unions providing support

Tax code

The Italian tax code (codice fiscale) is a personal identity document with a univocal alphanumerical code and it is necessary for a series of economic or tax related activities like: receiving payments, opening a current account in a post office or a bank, registering with the Italian Health Service, buying a pre-paid telephone sim card with an Italian telephone company and completing your enrolment at the university.

To get your tax code you need to go to the local Revenue Office (Agenzia delle Entrate) where you will be asked to fill in an application form and submit the following documents:

  • certificate of enrolment at the University of Macerata;
  • copy of your valid passport or ID;
  • visa (for non-EU students only).

 For further information on the Italian tax code

Ultimo aggiornamento 13 marzo 2019